Saturday 29 December 2012

Rant.

Hey all,

I will apologise first for my lack of recent posts. I would blame marking if i ever did any. Unfortunately that is now coming back to haunt me and my bedroom is now even more off-putting to prospective members of the opposite sex due to the large boxes full of children's workbooks on my floor. However much I protest that i am actually a teacher they seem to think something weird is going on. It's probably the LEGO though.


I have made it through my first term of my first real job without it being heavily insinuated that I should find a new school. I even had some christmas cards from students, demonstrating two things to me; My students actually know who I am, and that they can't spell my name. In fact spelling is more of an issue than I had previously thought in my school. This was highlighted when a year ten that I teach genuinely believed that the plural of fish is Fishies. Now if you were to assume that this poor girl had become somewhat confused about the correct usage of the word fishes to describe a group of fish of different species then you would be wrong. Wrong? you ask, wrong? how can you judge this poor girl to be a liar? because the plural of sheep is sheep, and not sheepies as written, that is why.

Unfortunately for this poor girl I fundamentally believe that it is not her fault. She is in the squeezed middle between the expectation of education and the expectation of life. Students seem to have a massive amount of difficulty separating the lexicon of teacher-expected written English and the language they use to converse with their friends and, increasingly I believe, their parents and elders. Personally, although with no grounding in fact or research, I blame Nikki Minaj. There is nothing about her that i see as a positive role model for anyone, regardless of age, gender, social standing or species. She is, in my opinion, a foetid waste of flesh that is in an insult regardless of your religious or ideological beliefs. She is either an insult to any deity you believe in or a horrifying example of evolution gone horribly wrong. Perhaps she is a warning of how badly life on Earth could go.

See also Ke$ha.

Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment